Négrette

Introduction

Négrette is a red wine grape grown mainly in the south-west of France, in the region between Albi and Toulouse. It is a direct descendant of an axle of the Mavro, which is a very widespread variety on the island of Cyprus.

The wines produced with the Négrette grape variety are characterized by vivid colours and a low acidity and tannin content. For this reason, should be drunk young and are less suitable for ageing.

The main Appellation d' Originé Controlée (AOC) using this variety, Côtes du Frontonnais (for red and rosé wine), requires that blended wine must contain between 50 and 70% Négrette. The rest, between 50 and 30%, must be based on Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon (maximum 25%), Côt (maximum 25%), Fer (maximum 25%), Syrah (maximum 25%), Cinsault, Gamay, Mauzac (a white grape), Merille (maximum 15%). At least three varieties of grapes must be used.

Wines made from this grape tend to show versatility, because they are able to age moderately well and can also be drunk young. In California, the vine has been known as Pinot St-George until 1977, when BATF ordered that it should not be called that.

 In the Fiefs Vendeens of the Loire valley, Négrette can be called Gaoutant. Plantations of this vine have declined throughout the twentieth century due to its susceptibility to powdery mildew and grey rot.

Negrette is also known by the following synonyms: Bourgogne, Cahors, Cap de Longages, Chalosse Noire, Couporel, Dégoûtant, Folle Noire, Morelet, Morillon, Mourelet, Mourrelet, Négralet, Negraou, Négret, Négret de Gaillac, Négret du Tarn, Négrette de Fronton, Négrette de Longages, Négrette de Longages, Nég George, Ragoûtant, Saintongeais, Vesparo Noir and Villemur.